37 DOK.fest München, May 4 – 15, 2022 ...and the winners are:
• VIKTOR DOK.international Main Competition: TRENCHES by Loup Bureau, France
• megaherz Student Award: PUSHING BOUNDARIES by Lesia Kordonets, Switzerland
• GOETHE INSTITUT Documentary Award: LIEBE, D-MARK UND TOD | LOVE, DEUTSCHMARKS AND DEATH by Cem Kaya, Germany
• VIKTOR DOK.deutsch: ZUSAMMENLEBEN by Thomas Fürhapter, Austria
• VIKTOR DOK.horizonte: NO SIMPLE WAY HOME by Akuol de Mabior, Kenya, South Sudan, South Africa
• FFF-Promotional Award Documentary: HOAMWEH LUNG | HOME SICK LUNGS by Felix Klee, Germany
VIKTOR DOK.international, the main award of 37 DOK.fest Munich goes to the French production TRENCHES by Loup Bureau, who accompanied Ukrainian soldiers fighting Russia-backed separatists in the Donbass. He shows how the soldiers try to lead a reasonably normal everyday life between explosions and enemy attacks. The Berlin based company FILMS BOUTIQUE is in charge of World Sales of the awarded documentary.
From the jury statement: "For weeks, months, years, they have been holed up in their trenches. Loup Bureau accompanies them. This undertaking alone is worthy of a prize. But TRENCHES is also a very beautiful film: without any showmanship, with great respect for his protagonists and using black and white footage that emphasises the timelessness of war, Bureau documents life in the trenches, the shovelling of earth and securing of defences that takes place daily, but also the cooking, the cutting of hair, the talking. The calm that Bureau's images radiate is of course a deceptive one and this is something that we, even as viewers, cannot forget for a second. At any moment there can be another attack. And there is. The urgency of the film has increased immeasurably since its completion in 2021."
The Ukrainian director Lesia Kordonets receives the megaherz Student Award for PUSHING BOUNDARIES at the 37 DOK.fest Munich. Editor german documentaries congratulates her and the Swiss producers, AG DOK member Dschoint Ventschr Filmprod.
37 DOK.fest München, May 4 – 15, 2022 in the Munich venues
and May 9 – 22 May 2022 @home! DOK.fest München is taking place for the first time in a dual format, setting the course for the future of the festival: the 124 films from 55 countries will be shown both in Munich on the cinema screen and at home on the digital screen all over Germany. Meaning that the carefully curated film programme will be accessible to even more viewers this year.
LineUp German productions and co-productions
- 1001 NIGHTS APART by Sarvnaz Alambeigi, 80min, P: Filmpunkt GmbH [DOK.special]
- 75€! by Luigjina Shkupa, 27min, P: HFF Munich [Close Up: Poland]
- AFTER HAPPY END | NACH DEM HAPPY END by Katharina Köster, 90min, P: Tellux Next GmbH [Munich Premiere]
- ALICE SCHWARZER by Sabine Derflinger, 135min, WS: filmdelights [DOK.deutsch]
- ALL THAT SHINES | UNTERM GLANZ by Gregor Eppinger, 70min, P: sehstern Filmproduktion Spiess & Krausz GbR [DOK.horizonte]
- AMONG US WOMEN by Sarah Noa Bozenhardt, Daniel Abate Tilahun, 92min [Student Award]
- ANIMA – MY FAHTERS'S DRESSES | ANIMA – DIE KLEIDER MEINES VATERS by Uli Decker, 104min [Munich Premiere]
- DIE AUTOBAHN – KAMPF UM DIE A 49 by Klaus Stern, Frank Marten Pfeiffer, 86min [DOK.panorama]
- BERLIN BYTCH LOVE by Heiko Aufdermauer, Johannes Girke, 86min [DOK.deutsch]
- BLACK MAMBAS by Lena Karbe, 81min, P: Karbe Film GmbH [VFF Award, Munich Premiere]
- BLACK HOLE LEGION by Jonathan Omer Mizrahi, Ariel Sereni Brown, 12min [SHORTS]
- BORDERS | GRANICE by Nicole Huminski, 25min, P: HFF Munich, [Close Up: Poland]
- CAHIER AFRICAIN by Heidi Specogna, 119min, WS: RUSHLAKE MEDIA ©2016 [HOMMAGE]
- CARTE BLANCHE by Heidi Specogna, 91min, ©2011 [HOMMAGE]
- DEAR MEMORIES – A Journey With Magnum-Photographer Thomas Hoepker | DEAR MEMORIES – Eine Reise mit dem Magnum-Fotografen Thomas Hoepker by Nahuel Lopez, 98min, coP: Granvista Media GmbH [DOK.deutsch]
- DANCING PINA by Florian Heinzen-Ziob, 151min, P: FONTÄNE FILM [DOK.panorama]
- DONBAS DAYS by Philipp Schaeffer, 16min, coP: Streetsfilm, Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH [Student Award]
- EUROPA PASSAGE by Andrei Schwartz, 90min, P: WÜSTE Film GmbH [DOK.deutsch]
- FRANCO ON TRIAL: THE SPANISH NUREMBERG by Lucia Palacios, Dietmar Post ©2018 [RETROSPECTIVE]
- GERMANY REPRESENT – YOUNG, FEMALE, POLITICAL | GERMANY REPRESENT – JUNG, WEIBLICH, POLITISCH by Jannika Quaas, 59min, P: Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg [Student Award]
- THE GOALGETTER'S SHIP by Heidi Specogna, 91min, ©2010 [HOMMAGE]
- HOMESICK LUNGS | HOAMWEH LUNG by Felix Klee, 15min [Student Award]
- HOW TO SAVE A DEAD FRIEND by Marusya Syroechkovskaya, 103min, WS: LIGHTDOX, [DOK.international]
- JONAS DEICHMANN – DAS LIMIT BIN NUR ICH | THE MAN THEY CALLED FORREST GUMP ALEMAN by Markus Weinberg, Steffi Rostoski, 105min, WS: RISE AND SHINE WORLD SALES U.G. [Munich Premiere]
- THE JOY OF SINGING | UNSERE HERZEN EIN KLANG by Simone Dobmeier, Torsten Striegnitz, 108min, P: Gebrüder Beetz Media GmbH [DOK.music]
- KALLE KOSMONAUT by Tine Kugler, Günther Kurth, 99min, P: KMOTO Medienproduktion GmbH [BEST OF FESTS]
- KASH KASH – WITHOUT FEATHERS WE CAN'T LIVE by Lea Najjar, 90min, WS: MAGNETFILM GmbH [DOK.horizonte]
- LE MALI 70 by Markus CM Schmidt, 92min [DOK.music]
- LO QUE QUEDA EN EL CAMINO by Jakob Krese, 93min, P: MAJMUN FILMS [BEST OF FESTS]
- LOVE, DEUTSCHMARKS AND DEATH | LIEBE, D-MARK UND TOD by Cem Kaya, 96min, coP: filmfaust GmbH | Film Five GmbH [DOK.special]
- LULLABY | WIEGENLIEDER by Tamara Trampe, Johann Feindt, 98min, P: zero one film GmbH © 2010 [DOK.special]
- MAXIM – THE GREATEST | MAXIM – DER GRÖSSTE by Katja Fedulova, 25min, P: telekult Film- und Medienproduktion GmbH [DOK.education]
- MIDWIVES by Snow Hnin Ei Hlaing, 91min, WS: dogwoof, P: AMA FILM [Student Award]
- NACH DER ARBEIT by Alexander Riedel, 113min, P: PELLE FILM Riedel und Timm GbR [DOK.focus]
- THE ONE WHO RUNS AWAY IS THE GHOST by Qinyuan Lei, 72min, P: Moserfilm [DOK.panorama]
- PORNFLUENCER | VERYFIED COUPLE by Joscha Bongard, 74min [DOK.focus]
- REPUBLIC OF SILENCE by Diana El Jeiroudi, 183min, WS: Salzgeber & Co. Medien GmbH [BEST OF FESTS]
- REWIND & PLAY by Alain Gomis, 65min, coP: Andolfi [DOK.music]
- SEAHORSE | SEEPFERDCHEN by Nele Dehnenkamp, 16min, P: Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH [DOK.education]
- SOMMERFAHRT – ZEIT HEILT KEINE WUNDEN by Gereon Wetzel, 84min [Munich Premiere]
- SO ODER SO by Lea Tama Springer, Eva Gemmer, Hannah Jandl, 45min [DOK.focus]
- SORRY COMRADE | SORRY GENOSSE by Vera Brückner, 94min [DOK.focus]
- SOUND OF MY OWN by Rebecca Zehr, 52min [FFF Talent Award]
- STAND UP MY BEAUTY by Heidi Specogna, 110min [HOMMAGE]
- THE ONE WHO RUNS AWAY IS THE GHOST by Qinyuan Lei, 72min [DOK.panorama]
- THIS STOLEN COUNTRY OF MINE | MEIN GESTOHLENES LAND by Marc Wiese, 93min, P: DREAMER JOINT VENTURE Filmprod. GmbH [DOK.panorama]
- TRACING TANGO ECHO TANGO by Ksenia Ciuvaseva, 30min, P: Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF [DOK.focus]
- VERABREDUNGEN MIT EINEM DICHTER – MICHAEL KRÜGER by Frank Wierke, 91min, P: if… Productions Film GmbH [DOK.special]
- VOICES FROM THE FIRE | STIMMEN VOM FEUER by Helen Simon, 92min, P: Filmallee GmbH [DOK.panorama]
- VOICE OF THE PEOPLE | VOLKSVERTRETER by Andreas Wilcke, 94min [DOK.horizonte]
- WHY WE FIGHT? by Alain Platel, Mirjam Devriendt, 97min, P: Gebrüder Beetz Media GmbH [DOK.panorama]
- WOODLAND | WOID by Verena Wagner, 41min, P: HFF Munich [Student Award]
- A WOMAN | EINE FRAU by Jeanine Meerapfel, 104min, P: unafilm [DOK.international]
The complete program of the 37th edition DOK.fest Munich for download here.
• DOK.series Award
• DOK.digital – Award für Neue Erzählformate,
• DOK.archive Award
• DOK.talent Award vom Haus des Dokumentarfilms
• DOK.composition Award
• DOK.edit Award
• Mentoring- und Festivalawards such as DAE Talent Award, Doc Around Europe Award, Nebulae Project Selection Award und Sunny Side of the Doc Award
• more information here.
New Markets, New Players, New Demands
THE BOOM OF DUCUMENTARIES
Neue Märkte, neue Player, neue Anforderungen - Der Boom des Dokumentarischen
A panel discussion by AG DOK – German Documentary Association
ARD and ZDF are increasingly focusing on non-fictional content in all web channels - fuelled also by the ever-growing streaming competitors. What kind of media and democracy-creating TV world do we want? At what budgets do innovative narrative forms create access to the heterogeneous audience?
This hybrid event will be held in German. To attend on site, please book a free ticket in advance. To participate online, please log in to your account and register via the event page in order to receive the link.
- Sonja Scheider, Program Management Culture/Arte Editorial Department Bayerischer Rundfunk
- Christian Ansager, Vice President Entertainment SKY Germany
- Marc Lepetit, Managing Director and Producer UFA Documentary
- Prof. Jennifer Mival, Professor Entertainment Producing, Internationale Filmschule Cologne (ifs), formerly Netflix
- Georg Tschurtschenthaler, producer, beetz brothers film production.
Diversity in documentary! But how?
Diversität im Dokumentarfilm! Aber wie
A collaborative session by AG DOK, Neue deutsche Medienmacher*innen and DOK.fest München on questions of diversity in the German documentary film business
This panel takes a look closer look on structural deficits in the film industry and possible solutions. How can we achieve diversity behind the camera? Whose perspectives has been (re)presented so far and in what form?
- Fatima Abdollahyan, Commissioning Editor, Bayerischer Rundfunk
- Prof. Olaf Jacobs, producer and founding managing director,
- MV Filmförderung GmbH Biene Pilavci, director and co-founder, Neue deutsche Medienmacher*innen
- Dietmar Post, director and producer, Play Loud! productions
Heidi Specogna at DOK.forum
In Heidi Specogna's on-site masterclass on 9 May at 10.00 a.m., the filmmaker opens the doors to one of the most intimate workplaces during the making of a documentary film: the editing room. The format is dedicated to the practical development of a documentary film between the first phase of rough editing and the final shooting. First montages of sequences and editing sketches form the basis for a working discussion between Heidi Specogna and the film team of #HARRAGA – THOSE WHO BURN.
To the MASTERCLASS.
This year DOK.fest München honours the great Swiss filmmaker Heidi Specogna in the HOMMAGE. A filmmaker who focuses on the global south in a special way and is committed to human rights in her films. Six films from four decades of her artistic work are part of the programme. They are Germany/Swiss co-production and four of them are listed in the german documentaries catalogue.
- STAND UP MY BEAUTY by Heidi Specogna, 110min, WS: Deckert Distribution ©2021
- CAHIER AFRICAIN by Heidi Specogna, 119min, WS: RUSHLAKE MEDIA ©2016
- CARTE BLANCHE by Heidi Specogna, 91min, ©2011
- DAS SCHIFF DES TORJÄGERS | THE GOALGETTER'S SHIP by Heidi Specogna, 91min, ©2010
- DAS KURZE LEBEN DES JOSÉ ANTONIO GUTIERREZ by Heidi Specogna, 94min ©2006
- TUPAMAROS by Heidi Specogna, 93min ©1997
Franco's legacy – for a long time a culturally untouched, nationwide traume that has become a defining part of Spanish identitiy. Six documentaries from four decades of facing and coping with Franquismo. The programme includes FRANCO ON TRIAL – THE SPANISH NUREMBERG? by Lucia Palacios, Dietmar Post ©2018 The trial became known as the 'Argentine Prosecution', in which a judge from Buenos Aires issued several international arrest warrants against, in part, high-ranking representatives of the Franco dictatorship in 2010. A novelty – due to the 'Pact of Forgetting', all perpetrators have so far remained at large. The film accompanies the efforts to finally bring them to justice.
For the original score to THIS STOLEN COUNTRY OF MINE, Alva Noto aka Carsten Nicolai receives the German Documentary Film Music Award 2022. The film shows the dawn of a new world order: the takeover of an entire country for ruthless economic exploitation. "Alva Noto's music subtly lends intense power to the struggle of a mountain village, sensitively and precisely accentuates the film's disturbing theme – and often brings us closer than we would like", the jury said in its statement. The German Documentary Film Music Award is endowed with 5,000 Euros, donated by the Versicherungskammer Kulturstiftung and supported by the Förder- und Hilfsfonds des Deutschen Komponistenverbandes.
German Documentary Film Music Award 2022: THE NOMINEES
The German Documentary Film Music Award is sponsored by the Versicherungskammer Kulturstiftung and endowed with 5,000 Euros.
- AMONG US WOMEN by by Sarah Noa Bozenhardt, Daniel Abate Tilahun, P: Evolution Film UG,
Composer: Anna-Marlene Bicking, Germany/Ethiopia 2021, 93 min.
- WORKING WOMEN | ARBEITERINNEN | PRACUJACE KOBIETY by Julia Roesler,
Composers: Insa Rudolph, Esra Dalfidan and Katrin Mickiewicz, Germany/Poland 2021, 73 min.
- SEARCHING FOR FRITZ KANN | AUF DER SUCHE NACH FRITZ KANN by Marcel Kolvenbach, P: publicnomad, Composer: Cassis B. Staudt, Germany 2021, 100 min.
- BURNING MEMORIES, Compostion and Direction: Alice Schmid, Switzerland 2020, 80 min. T
- KALLE KOSMONAUT by Tine Kugler, Günther Kurth, P: KMOTO Medienproduktion GmbH,
Composer: Philip Bradatsch, Germany 2021, 98 min.
- BUTTERFLIES IN MIND | SCHMETTERLINGE IM KOPF by Sobo Swobodnik, Composers: Elias Gottstein, Lars Rudolph, Germany 2021, 100 min.
- A SOUND OF MY OWN by Rebecca Zehr, P: HFF München, taro films | Rebecca Zehr, Composer: Marja Burchard, Germany 2021, 52 min
- THIS STOLEN COUNTRY OF MINE by Marc Wiese, P: DREAMER JOINT VENTURE Filmprod. GmbH, Composer: Alva Noto aka Carsten Nicolai, Germany 2021, 93 min.
The award is sponsored by the VFF Verwertungsgesellschaft der Film und Fernsehproduzenten mbH and is endowed with 7,500 Euros. The award is the first in Germany to focus on the work of documentary film producers. In 2022 it will be awarded for the fifth time at DOK.fest München. This year the prize goes to the international co-production 1001 NIGHTS APART. The film was produced by Stefan Tolz and Thomas Riedelsheimer – Filmpunkt GmbH), co-producers are the director Sarvnaz Alambeigi – Rabison Art Production, and the American Louise Rosen. The award ceremony will take place on May 5th at 8:30 p.m. in the Deutsches Theater.
VFF Documentary Film Production Award 2022:
The process of making a documentary film is particularly difficult to plan and often involves great uncertainty. Yet time and again producers demonstrate great courage and show special creativity and commitment in project development and film financing. With the presentation of the VFF Documentary Film Production Award at DOK.fest München, we honour the passionate commitment and the role of producers in the development of current cinema documentary projects.
This year's jury was made up of Frank Müller (filmmaker, producer, editor), Anna Schoeppe (Managing Director of HessenFilm und Medien) and Thomas Frickel (author, director, producer).
- 1001 NIGHTS APART by Sarvnaz Alambeigi, 80min, Produzent.innen: Stefan Tolz filmpunkt, Sarvnaz Alambeigi, Louise Rosen, Germany/Iran/USA
- AMONG US WOMEN by Sarah Noa Bozenhardt und Daniel Abate Tilahun, 93min, Produzentin: Sonja Kilbertus – Evolution Film UG, Germany/Ethiopia
- BERLIN BYTCH LOVE by Heiko Aufdermauer und Johannes Girke, 86min, Produzenten: Heiko Aufdermauer und Johannes Girke, Germany
- BLACK MAMBAS by Lena Karbe, 81min, Produzent.innen: Lena Karbe und Jan Vasak – Karbe Film GmbH , South Africa/Germany/France
- DEAR MEMORIES – Eine Reise mit dem Magnum-Fotografen Thomas Hoepker by Nahuel Lopez, 95min, Produzent.innen: Nahuel Lopez, Katrin Renz und Stefan Jäger, Germany/Switzerland
- KALLE KOSMONAUT by Tine Kugler und Günther Kurth, 98min, Produzent.innen: Tine Kugler und Günther Kurth – KMOTO Medienproduktion GmbH, Germany
- LIEBE, D-MARK UND TOD | LOVE, DEUTSCHMARKS AND DEATH by Cem Kaya, 96min,
Produzenten: Florian Schewe – filmfaust GmbH & Stefan Kauertz – Film Five GmbH, Germany
- VOLKSVERTRETER | VOICE OF THE PEOPLE by Andreas Wilcke, 94min, Produzent: Andreas Wilcke, Germany
Documentary Film Prize of the Goethe-Institut
From 2022 the Goethe-Institut's renowned documentary film award will be presented alternately at DOK.fest München, the DOK Leipzig festival, the Duisburger Filmwoche and the Kasseler Dokfest. The documentary film award of the Goethe-Institut honours an outstanding German documentary film of the current year and is endowed with 2,000 Euros. The Jury 2022: Ameer Masoud, Diana El Jeiroudi, Eva Lautenschlager.
- ALICE SCHWARZER by Sabine Derflinger, 135 min.
- ANIMA – DIE KLEIDER MEINES VATERS | ANIMA – MY FATHER'S DRESSES by Uli Decker, 94 min.
- BERLIN BYTCH LOVE by Heiko Aufdermauer, Johannes Girke, 86 min.
- DEAR MEMORIES – EINE REISE MIT DEM MAGNUM-FOTOGRAFEN THOMAS HOEPKER by Nahuel Lopez, 98 min.
- DIE AUTOBAHN – KAMPF UM DIE A 49 by Klaus Stern, Frank Marten Pfeiffer, 86 min.
- EUROPA PASSAGE by Andrei Schwartz, 90 min.
- KALLE KOSMONAUT by Tine Kugler, Günther Kurth, 99 min
- LIEBE, D-MARK UND TOD | LOVE, DEUTSCHMARKS AND DEATH by Cem Kaya, 96min.
- PORNFLUENCER by Joscha Bongard, 74min
- SORRY GENOSSE by Vera Brückner, 94min
The FFF Talent Award Documentary Film, donated by FilmFernsehFonds Bayern, honours local up-and-coming directors at DOK.fest Munich. The award is given across all sections and is endowed with 5,000 Euros. The six nominated films A SOUND OF MY OWN by Rebecca Zehr, BLACK MAMBAS by Lena Karbe, HOAMWEH LUNG by Felix Klee, NACH DEM HAPPY END by Katharina Köster, SORRY GENOSSE | SORRY COMRADE by Vera Brückner, and WOID are online from 09 to 22 May online as well as from 04 to 15 May at the Munich venues during the 37 DOK.fest Munich.