- The Glashütte Original – Documentary Award goes to TALKING ABOUT TREES by Suhaib Gasmelbari Mustafa. This international co-production was awarded as well by the Panorma Audience. All Berlinale visitors can use the voting cards to choose the winners of the Audience Award in the Panorama section. The Panorama Audience Award was inaugurated in 1999 and is presented by radioeins radio station, rbb television and the Panorama section.
- Both german documentaries in the section of 69 Berlinale SHORT are awarded with a Bear. Silver Bear for BLUE BOY by Manuel Abramovich and Golden Bear for UMBRA by Johannes Krell, Florian Fischer.
- Thomas Heise is awarded with the Caligari Film Prize for HEIMAT IS A SPACE IN TIME | HEIMAT IST EIN RAUM AUS ZEIT. The prize is sponsored by the "German Federal Association of Communal Film Work" and filmdienst.de.
- The Heiner Carow Prize for the promotion of German cinematic arts to a documentary, feature or essay film in the Panorama section, sponsored by the DEFA Foundation goes to BEAUTY & DECAY – SVEN MARQUARDT | SCHÖNHEIT & VERGÄNGLICHKEIT by Annekatrin Hendel. The prize honours films that address the social and political issues of today and in history with extraordinary aesthetic means.
- The Compass-Perspektive-Award for the best film in the programme goes to Maryam Zaree for her film BORN IN EVIN. "In Born in Evin, Maryam Zaree takes us along on a search for her own past, in a gruesome chapter of Iranian history. Resolute and sincere, brave and moving, the filmmaker relentlessly hunts for answers to unasked questions, in the process drawing us ever-deeper into her story and to a collective blind spot. She takes a stand, undaunted, and assumes responsibility for breaking the silence for an entire generation." Jury statement, February 15, 2019 By the way, the project was participent of the 12th International DOK Leipzig Co-Pro Market in autum 2016. Produced by Tondowski Films.
Let's get face to face at the Gropius Bau,
booth 17, European Film Market,
t. +49 30 220088416
February 7—15, 2019
or join us at the events
• Deutschland—Doku-Land with FRITZ WOLF, hosted bei AG DOK
Feb. 7, 2—4 p.m. at the Landesvertretung des Freistaats Thüringen Mohrenstraße 64, 10117 Berlin (U2/Mohrenstraße)
• AG DOK Berlinale Party Feb. 7, 7 p.m. at BABYLONcinema,
Rosa-Luxemburg-Str. 30, Berlin Mitte
The Berlin International Film Festival is very committed to documentaries and diverse documentary forms, as evident from the programmes of the different sections, initiatives and special series, as well as the European Film Market (EFM). In recent years, the number of long and short documentaries screening at the festival has continually increased. In 2018, the Berlinale has published a brochure titled 'Focus on Docs' for the very first time. It gives an overview of the many documentary film activities at the festival, and sparks interest in the films and events at the upcoming Berlinale.
This year, for the third time, the Berlin International Film Festival will present the Glashütte Original – Documentary Award, which was established in 2017 thanks to the support of watch manufacturer Glashütte Original from Saxony. The Glashütte Original – Documentary Award is endowed with € 50,000, funded by Glashütte Original. The prize money will be split between the film’s director and producer. A total of 17 documentary entries from the current programmes of the Panorama, Forum, Generation and Perspektive Deutsches Kino sections and the special series Culinary Cinema are nominated for the Glashütte Original – Documentary Award.
The prize will be presented during the official Award Ceremony in the Berlinale Palast on February 16. In addition to the prize money, Glashütte Original will also provide the trophy, which will be finely crafted in the company’s manufactory in Saxony. Maria Bonsanti, Gregory Nava and Maria Ramos are the jury picking the winner. More information here.
LineUp german documentaries at the 69th BERLINALE
- BLUE BOY by Manuel Abramovich, produced with grant by Werkleitz Gesellschaft e. V. Winner of the Siver Bear for SHORTS
- UMBRA by Johannes Krell, Florian Fischer, P: ROSENPICTURES Filmproduction GbR, Academy of Media Arts Cologne Winner of the Golden Bear for SHORTS
- LAMPENFIEBER | KIDS IN THE SPOTLIGHT by Alice Agneskirchner, P: Gebrüder Beetz Media GmbH
- ES HÄTTE SCHLIMMER KOMMEN KÖNNEN – MARIO ADORF | IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE – MARIO ADORF by Dominik Wessely, P: COIN Film GmbH
- WEIL DU NUR EINMAL LEBST – DIE TOTEN HOSEN AUF TOUR | DIE TOTEN HOSEN ON TOUR – YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE by Cordula Kablitz-Post, Paul Dugdale, P: avanti media fiction GmbH
- PETER LINDBERGH – WOMEN STORIES by Jean Michel Vecchiet, P: DCM & B | 14 FILM
Perspektive Deutsches Kino is coming of age. For the past 18 years, the Berlinale has dedicated itself with this section to supporting promising German filmmakers and talents who are self-confidently searching for their own form of artistic expression.
- BERLIN BOUNCER by David Dietl, P: Flare Film GmbH
- BORN IN EVIN by Maryam Zaree, P: Tondowski Films, Golden Girls, nominated for Glashütte Original Award, winner of the Comapass-Perspektive-Award
- THE INNER LIGHT | DAS INNERE LEUCHTEN by Stefan Sick, P: AMA FILM GmbH
- TACKLING LIVE by Johannes List, P: if... Productions e.K., HFF Munich ....
- THE PIT | DIE GRUBE by Hristiana Raykova, P: Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF, nominated for Glashütte Original Award.
- 6Minutes66 | 6Minuten66 by Katja Feldmeier, Julius Feldmeier, P: TriebKraft Film
Generation Kplus and Generation 14plus, two competition programmes screening state-of-the-art international cinema. For young audiences and for everyone else. Epic narratives and fleeting moments, flights of fantasy and bitter realities. Coming-of-age stories: awesome, wild and angry, heartfelt and headstrong.
- KIDS | KINDER by Nina Wesemann, P: Leykauf Film GmbH & Co. KG
- RINGSIDE | IM RING by André Hörmann, P: Sutor Kolonko, Germany & Motto Pictures, USA; nominated for Glashütte Original Award
- CITY PLAZA HOTEL by by Anna Paula Hönig, Violeta Paus, P: Triade Films (France, Germany, Chile)
2019 marks the 40th edition of the PANORAMA section of the Berlinale. Since its initiation in 1980 under the title Info-Schau, the section has presented films intended to inspire and provoke, and to challenge the audience’s viewing and thinking habits. The film selection is simultaneously an offering and a call to look at cinema differently. On the occasion of the section’s 40th anniversary, Panorama presents a special programme from its 40-year history within two 'german documentaries'.
- In 1992, film pioneer Monika Treut completed what was likely the first portrait of a transgender man in the history of cinema. MAX is the story of a journey to another sex, of experiences with the male sex hormone testosterone, and of hostility within one’s own community.
- One rare testimonial of the German ACT UP movement is Jochen Hick’s short film WILLKOMMEN IM DOM | WELCOME TO THE DOME: A spectacular protest against HIV and AIDS discrimination by the Catholic Church during the German Bishops’ Conference in Fulda in 1991.
- BEAUTY & DECAY – SVEN MARQUARDT | SCHÖNHEIT & VERGÄNGLICHKEIT by Annekatrin Hendel. Winner of the Heiner Carow Prize.
- THE BREATH | DER ATEM by Uli M Schueppel, P: Schueppel Films
- SEARCHING EVA by Pia Hellenthal, P: CORSO Film-&Fernehprod., nominated for Glashütte Original Award.
- TALKING ABOUT TREES by Suhaib Gasmelbari Mustafa, P: Made in Germany Filmprod. Germany, Agat Films, France & Goï Goï Productions. Winner of the Panorama Audience Award as well as of the Glashütte Original – Documentary Award .
49th FORUM Arsenal – Institute for Film and Video Art is putting on the Forum as part of the Berlinale for the 49th time. The Forum 2019 main programme doesn’t consider itself some sort of ‘best of’ list, but rather gathers together a selection of films that try things out, take a stance and refuse to compromise. Some look back at the history of the 20th century, while others focus on what’s to come, even as they remain anchored in the here and now. Numerous films take the written word as their starting point, drawing on or making explicit reference to literature or working with letters, poems and other writings.
- PROGRESS IN THE VALLEY OF THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T KNOW | FORTSCHRITT IM TAL DER AHNUNGSLOSEN by Florian Kunert, P: StoryBay Cinema, khm - Academy of Media Arts Cologne
- HEIMAT IS A SPACE IN TIME | HEIMAT IST EIN RAUM AUS ZEIT by Thomas Heise, P: ma.ja.de. Filmprod. Leipzig, Germany & Navigator Film Wien, Austria; Winner of the Caligari Film Prize.
- OLANDA by Bernd Schoch, P: fünferfilm - Krause & Scheuffele GbR
- YEARS OF CONSTRUCTION | BAUJAHRE by Heinz Emigholz P: PYM Films, Filmgalerie 451
- B12 – LEAVE DYING FOR ANOTHER LIFE | B12 – GESTORBEN WIRD IM NÄCHSTEN LEBEN by Christian Lerch
Production: Johannes Kaltenhauser, Patrick Lange | Südkino Filmproduktion GmbH
- outside | draußen by Johanna Sunder-Plassmann, Tama Tobias-Macht
Production: Titus Kreyenberg | unafilm
- PARENTS’ SCHOOL | ELTERNSCHULE by Ralf Bücheler, Jörg Adolph
Production: Ingo Fliess | if... Productions
- HE SHE I | ER SIE ICH by Carlotta Kittel
Production: Carlotta Kittel, Isabell Wackers | Kittel & Wackers GbR, Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF
- FLY ROCKET FLY by Oliver Schwehm
Production: Markus Hilß | Lunabeach TV und Media GmbH, novak film
- Hi, A.I. | WIR SIND DIE ROBOTER (AT) by Isa Willinger, Production: Stefan Kloos | Kloos & Co. Medien GmbH; shortlisted for the German Film Award LOLA@Berlinale
- LITTLE GERMANS | KLEINE GERMANEN by Mohammad Farokhmanesh, Frank Geiger
Production: Mohammad Farokhmanesh, Frank Geiger, Ali Samadi Ahadi, Armin Hofmann | brave new work GmbH, Little Dream Entertainment, Golden Girls Filmproduction & Filmservices GmbH
- OF FATHERS AND SONS by Talal Derki
Production: Tobias N. Siebert, Ansgar Frerich, Eva Kemme, Hans Robert Eisenhauer | Basis Berlin Filmprod. GmbH
- PARTISAN by Lutz Pehnert, Matthias Ehlert, Adama Ulrich
Production: Susann Schimk | solo:film GmbH
- SHUT UP AND PLAY THE PIANO by Philipp Jedicke
Production: Stephan Holl, Antoinette Köster | Rapid Eye Movies, Gentle Threat
- TALKING MONEY by Sebastian Winkels
Production: Susann Schimk | solo:film GmbH, Catpics AG, Zazarfilm Ltd.
- EVERYWHERE WE ARE | ÜBERALL WO WIR SIND by Veronika Kaserer
Production: Veronika Kaserer, Jan Zabeil
- THE BEES AND THE BIRDS | VON BIENEN UND BLUMEN by Lola Randl
Production: Henning Kamm | Detailfilm GmbH, Tohuwabohu GmbH
...just to remember 68th BERLINALE