The International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam — IDFA announced the first films selected for its 34th edition. The Top 10 program curated by Guest of Honor Hito Steyerl includes VIDEOGRAMS OF A REVOLUTION, the cult masterpiece by Harun Farocki and Andrei Ujica, in a nod to Steyerl's long-held admiration of Farocki, who she has written about, exhibited with, and studied under at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna. Still elsewhere in the selection, Steyerl presents a mainstay of documentary journalism with Laura Poitras' Oscar-winning Edward Snowden film CITIZENFOUR.
This year’s Best of Fests selection celebrates a year when, despite all challenges, festivals came back with a large slate of exceptional documentary films, and cinema triumphantly returned to the big screen. The program section takes a decidedly cinephile turn in 2021, honoring the year’s award winners, critics’ picks, and audience favorites. The 46-film-strong selection includes highlights out of the german documentaries catalogue such as
- ANAMNESIS by Chris Wright, Stefan Kolbe, 111min, WS: Deckert Distribution GmbH [Best of Fests]
- AS I WANT by Samaher Alqadi, 88min, coP: KASKE FILM , WS: FILMOTOR s.r.o. [Best of Fests]
- COURAGE by Aliaksei Paluyan, 90min, WS: RISE AND SHINE WORLD SALES U.G. [Best of Fests]
- LES ENFANTS TERRIBLES by Ahmet Necdet Çupur, 93min, P: JYOTI Film GmBH, WS: Deckert Distribution [Best of Fests]
- F@CK THIS JOB by Vera Krichevskaya, 104min, coP: NDR [Best of Fests]
- MR BACHMANN AND HIS CLASS | HERR BACHMANN UND SEINE KLASSE by Maria Speth, 217min, P: Madonnen Film GmBH [Best of Fests]
- TAMING THE GARDEN by Salomé Jashi, 92min, WS: Syndicado Distribution [Best of Fests]
- WHEN A FARM GOES AFLAME by Jide Tom Akinleminu, 113min, P: FILM FIVE [Best of Fests]
- ZINDER by Aicha Macky, 84min, coP: CORSO Film , WS: Andanafilms [Best of Fests]
IDFA Masters selects sixteen must-see titles from some of the leading filmmakers of our time. Several entries speak to the growing crossover between filmmakers working in both the fiction and documentary worlds, as seen in the German co-productions Karim Aïnouz's MARINER OF THE MOUNTAINS, charting the director’s first trip to his father’s homeland, TWO MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT by Yael Bartana, and THE FIRST 54 YEARS by Avi Mograbi, among other titles.
- THE FIRST 54 YEARS — An Abbreviated Manual for Military Occupation by Avi Mograbi, 110min, coP: ma.ja.de. Filmproduktions GmbH [Masters]
- MARINER OF THE MOUNTAINS by Karim Aïnouz, 99min, WS: The Match Factory [Masters]
- TWO MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT by Yael Bartana [Masters]
IDFA Forum takes place from Saturday, November 20 to Friday, November 26.
62 projects are selected among them German productions and co-productions such as
- CHOMSKY VS CHOMSKY by Sandra Rodriguez [Canada, Germany]
Chomsky vs Chomsky is a multi-user, playful and collaborative Mixed Reality experience that invites visitors on a timely quest: to debunk AI’s biggest promises, limitations and pitfalls.
- DO YOU LOVE ME (working title) by Lana Daher [Lebanon, Germany]
Do You Love Me (working title) is Lana Daher’s personal journey through the fractured historical, social, cultural, and political landscapes of Beirut, Lebanon. By utilizing the country’s musical, cinematic, photographic, and journalistic archives, the film collages together the story of Lebanon's chaotic past, troubled present and hopes for its uncertain future.
- MYRIAD. Where we connect. | Full Dome by Lena Thiele, Sebastian Baurmann [Germany]
What can animal migration tell us about our interconnected world? MYRIAD combines scientific research, cinematic documentary, artistic style, 3D animation and VR technology to bring animal migration stories to life. [ coP: Interactive Media Foundation, Filmtank]
- THE TWO MOUNTAINS WEIGHING DOWN MY CHEST by Viv Li [Germany]
A witty and personal exploration of a 31-year-old woman’s sexual and cultural identity in the landscape of Chinese youth culture and gender history. [Interview with the director]
For more information please visit the website of the festival and/or download the pressreleases here. IDFA presents new festival selections from September 21 onwards. The final competition titles will be announced on Monday, November 1, during the IDFA 2021 press conference—available to stream online at www.idfa.nl.
The LineUp of german documentaries at 34 IDFA will be published here at the beginning of November 2021.