The 62nd edition of DOK Leipzig will open with the world premiere of director Marcus Vetter’s documentary THE FORUM. Vetter and producer Christian Beetz are the first in the fifty-year history of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos to succeed in sending an independent film team behind the scenes of this international gathering. As the film follows 81-year-old Klaus Schwab, founder and chairman of the WEF, over the course of a year, the global agenda includes such challenges as climate change, Brexit, the destruction of the Amazon rainforest, the rise of populism, and trade tensions between the United States and China.
- 199 LITTLE HEROES - three Episodes of the since 2015 ongoing series: Jésùs from Mexico by Lina Luzyte, Sigrid Klausmann, 10min | Koolee from Australia by Kaye Harrison, 8min | Rania From Jordan by Gessis George, 8min (Kids DOK)
- ABLAZE | BRAND by Jan Koester, Alexander Lahl, 5min (International Programm Short Film | Films in German)
- AFTERMATH | NACHSPIEL by Christoph Hübner, Gabriele Voss, 98min P: CORSO Film (German Competition | Films in German)
- AGAIN | NOCH EINMAL by Mario Pfeifer, 38min
- AGAINST THE TIDE | GEGEN DEN STROM - Abgetaucht in Venezuela by Sobo Swobodnik, 88min (International Programm | Films in German)
- ALL FOR THE COUNTRYSIDE | LANDRETTER by Gesa Hollerbach, 77min, P: Amour Fou Vienna, CORSO Film (German Competition | Films in German)
- ANDES UPRISING, A BUFFER CITY RE-INVENTING ITSELF THROUGH ARCHITECTURE by Bernado Villagra Meruvia, 14min (International Programm | Films in German)
- AT THE EDGE - BEEKEEPERS IN MECKLENBURG | AN DER BRUCHKANTE - IMKER IN MEKLENBURG by Anne Andersen, 128min(special screening, market)
- AUTOBAHN by Daniel Abma, 85min, P: Filmuniversität KONRAD WOLF (International Programm | Films in German)
- BEKAR EVI - THE BACHELOR HOUSE | BEKAR EVI - AS JUNGESELLENHAUS by Dirk Schäfer, 76min (International Programm | Films in German)
- BREAD, REVENGE? | PAIN, VENGEANCE? by Stefan Hayn, 76min (International Programm | Films in German)
- CEREMONY by Phil Collins, 67min (Late Harvest)
- COAL COUNTRY SONG. GUNDERMANN | GUNDERMAN REVIER by Grit Lemke, 90min, P: inselfilm (International Programm | Films in German)
- COMING OFF THE REAL TIME, FOR A WHILE by Anna Friedrich, 62min (German Competition | Films in German)
- DEAR DARKNESS | WELLEN AUS LICHT by Samuel Nepumuk Schwarz, 16min (Kids DOK | Films in German)
- DUERRENWAID 8 by Ines Christine Geißer, Kirsten Carina Geißer, 7min (Kids DOK)
- EASTERN LANDSCAPE | ÖSTLICHE LANDSCHAFT © 1991 by Eduard Schreiber, 13min, (DEFA Matinee | Re-Vision)
- THE FEVER | DAS FIEBER by Katharina Weingartner, 99min, P: Pool Doks, zero one (International Programm)
- DAS FORUM | THE FORUM by Marcus Vetter, 118min, P: Gebrüder Beetz Filmproduktion, Dschoint Ventschr Filmproduktion, Filmperspektive GmbH (International Competition | Films in German)
- GIRLS OF PAADHAI by Natalia Preston, 90min (German Competition | Films in German)
- HALF DREAM | HALB TRAUM by Dandan Liu, 86min (German Competition | Films in German)
- HAVELLAND FONTANE by Bernhard Sallmann, 109min (German Competition | Films in German)
- IN THE NAME OF SCHERAZADE OR THE FIRST BEERGARDEN IN TEHERAN by Narges Kalhor, 76min (International Programme | Films in German)
- THE LAST PAINTING by Tom Salt, 14min (German Competition Short Film)
- LET THERE BE CITY! | ES WERDE STADT! ©2014 by Dominik Graf, Martin Farkas, 154min (Retrospektive | Films in German)
- mySELFie by Anna Scheschonk, 52min (International Programme | Films in German)
- NEST by Sonja Rohleder, 4min (Kids DOK)
- NEWS & STORIES: Change is the Salt of Pleasure | NEWS & STORIES: Veränderung ist das Salz des Vergnügens ©1993 by Alexander Kluge 45min (Retrospektive | Films in German)
- ONIRONAUTA by Valerie-Malin Schmid, 21min (German Competition Short Film)
- OPERA GLASSES | BINOKL by Mila Zhluktenko, 24min - GOLDEN DOVE – German Competition Short Film | Films in German)
- A PIECE OF FOREST | WALDSTÜCK by Hannes Schilling, 25min, P: Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF (International Programme Short Film | Films in German)
- PROFESSION: NEO-NAZI | BERUF NEONAZI ©1992 by Winfried Bonengel, 83min (Re-Vision | Films in German)
- THE QILIN by David Laié, Sam Hopkins, 19min (German Competition Short Film | Films in German)
- A QUIET RESISTANCE | IM STILLEN LAUT by Therese Koppe, 74min, Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF, Honorable Mention ver.di Prize for Solidarity, Humanity and Fairness — German Competition | Films in German
- RESONANCE by Itay Marom, 56min, DEFA Sponsoring Award – German Competition (Films in German)
- RUSSIA'S MILLENNIUM CHILDREN | RUSSLANDS MILLENNIUMSKINDER by Irene Langemann, 90min (Special Screening | Films in German)
- THE SORCERER'S APPRENTICE | DER ZAUBERLEHRLING by Kyne Uhlig, Nikolaus Hillebrand, 7min (Kids DOK | Films in German)
- SPACE DOGS by Elsa Kramer, Levin Peter, 91min (International Programme | Films in German)
- STATUS AND TERRAIN | ZUSTAND UND GELÄNDE by Ute Adamczewski, 119min wins The Golden Dove of German Competition Long Documentary and Animated Film.
- TASTE OF HOPE | LE GOUT DE L'ESPOIR by Laura Coppens, 71min (International Programm | Films in German)
- TRACES | SPUREN by Aysun Bademsoy, 90min (International Programme | Films in German)
- TRANSIT CIRCLE | YI YU WEI ZHI by Stephan Knauss, 40min (International Programm Short Film)
- WATERPROOF by Daniela König, 88min (German Competition | Films in German)
- WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THIS LOVE | WOHIN MIT ALL DER LIEBE by Marita Stocker, 80min (International Programm | Films in German)
- WHERE WE USED TO SWIM by Daniel Asadi Faezi, 8min (German Competition Short Film)
- WINTER | L'INVERNO by Guril Bachmann, 6min (Kids DOK)
- ZONE M ©2000 by Eduard Schreiber, 100min (DEFA Matinee | Films in German)
- among others
The full Official Selection here _ _
• The Golden Dove German Competition Long Documentary and Animated Film as well as the ver.di Award for Solidarity, Humanity and Fairness [ver.di-Preises für Solidarität, Menschlichkeit und Fairness] has gone to STATUS AND TERRAIN by Ute Adamczewski.
• The Golden Dove German Competition Short Documentary and Animated Film goes to OPERA GLASSES | BINOKL by by Mila Zhluktenko.
• Honorable Mention ver.di Prize for Solidarity, Humanity and Fairness goes to A QUIET RESISTANCE | IM STILLEN LAUT by Therese Koppe.
• Goethe-Institut Documentary Film Prize goes to IN THE NAME OF SCHEHERAZADE or THE FIRST BEERGARDEN IN THEHERAN by Narges Kalhor.
• Honorable Mention German Competition Short Documentary and Animated Film for THE LAST PAINTING by Tom Salt.
• DEFA Sponsoring Award goes to RESONANCE by Itay Marom
DOK Co-Pro Market:
• D-FACTO MOTION WORKS-IN-PROGRESS PRIZE goes to Christoph Eder
for WHO OWNS MT VILLAGE.
• Current Time TV and DOK Co-Pro Development Prize goes to Giedre Žickyte for IRENA.
For all the other winners of the international competition cklick here!
DOK CO-PRO MARKET Celebrating its 15th edition this year, DOK Co-Pro Market features 35 projects linked to a record 40 countries. We are very excited to welcome each team to Leipzig to participate in more than 900 meetings with decision makers and other co-financiers as well as more than 60 professionals attending without projects or as part of a delegation. In addition to the individual meetings, the DOK Side Bar Programme provides informal information sessions with international experts to share our knowledge with these professionals attending the market without a project.
As usual, the DOK Co-Pro Market strives to invite new decision makers to widen the networks for all those who participate, and of course to gaze into the documentary crystal ball to see future paths towards sustainability and equality.
Projects of German producers and co-producers:
• HUMANMAKERS by Yasmin Angel Pardo, P: CORSO FILM
• IRENA (WT) by Giedre Žickyte, P: Moonmakers, Saxonia Entertainment
• JOHATSU - THE MISSING by Andreas Hartmann, Arata Mori, P: Ossa Film
• ONE DYING STAR by Tea Lukac P: Mali Budo
• THE LAST EXPEDITION by Eliza Kubarska, P: Braidmade Films PL
• WHITEWASH (WT) by Ahmet Cupur, P: TS Productions
DOC FILM MARKET The festival’s video library – DOK Film Market – offers professionals who hold a DOK Film Market accreditation the opportunity to view all the documentary and animated films from the festival’s Official Selection independently of scheduled screenings. Additionally, we showcase around 100 new and outstanding documentaries with international appeal. These come recommended by the DOK Leipzig Selection Committee or are submitted by renowned world sales companies and our international partners, the Croatian Audiovisual Centre, East Silver & Institute of Documentary Film, Krakow Film Foundation & Polish Docs, Taiwan Docs, and Visions du Réel & Swiss Films. All presented films have been produced in the course of the past year. DOK Film Market pass holders are welcome to book one of the twenty viewing booths in advance via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or at the DOK Film Market counter on the Basement Floor of the Festival Centre. The video library is also available online via our website throughout the festival week and for an additional six months after the conclusion of the festival.
DOK SHORT N’ SWEET is back for its third edition this year. Ten new short films will have just three minutes to pitch to a panel of experts. Among them two by authors from Germany, such as LOVE AND MARRIAGE by Claudia Sárkány and DIANE by Naama Heimann & Bela Bulgakova.
The experts this year come from online platforms, major newspapers, A-List film festivals and distribution companies all focused on short-form documentary content. More information...
DOK PREVIEW GERMANY In cooperation with German Films and AG DOK, DOK Leipzig is happy to again present seven new and unusual German creative documentaries ready for international circulation. Each film has a unique and ambitious style and our charming moderators Simone Baumann and Tanja Georgieva, together with the film teams, will give you a sneak peek into new titles ready for your slots, slates and festivals. Stay for a drink and a snack at the end of the presentation, as the unofficial kickoff for the 62nd edition of DOK Leipzig.
Mon Oct 28, 2019, 15:30–17:00, Leipziger Pfeffermühle
DFM Work-in-Progress Prize
The DFM Work-in-Progress Prize [valued at 10,000€] goes to WHO OWNS MY COUNTRY by Christoph Eder. Congratulations! The prize by D-Facto Motion is awarded to a DOK Preview Germany project for the first time this year. In WHO OWNS MY VILLAGE, Cristoph Eder returns to the village where he was born, on the shores of the Baltic, with the curious eyes of a child from years gone by. He watches the inhabitants awaken from their political lethargy and battle for the fate of the popular tourist destination.
DOK Preview highlights outstanding works-in-progress, offering a small glimpse of excellent new creative documentaries looking for festival premieres, gap financing and distribution partners.
All those who ask themselves: "How can I evaluate my films online in the future?"
Save the date
AG DOK: DOK als VOD
Tuesday, October 29, 2 a.m
Grimmaische Str. 6. Leipzig
Members of AG DOK and accredited guests welcome
Will DOCS as VOD - survive in the shadow of the big portals?
Our documentary films compete with countless other offers for the viewer's media budget. In doing so, we must assert ourselves against public media libraries and illegal download sites, as well as compete with the globally positioned companies and portals such as Youtube, Netflix, Amazon - and coming up Disney & Apple.
• Is there economic survival in the niche?
• What could promising strategies look like?
• Do subscription models (SVOD) for documentaries work?
• Do boutique offers with individual downloads or rentals (TVOD) pay off?
• Or is the solution in your own Vimeo account or in a digital film file in a drop box that can be activated on request?
• Is it a mixture of everything?
• Or none of it?
• "If you can't beat them - join them!" also applies to documentary filmmakers?
Thomas Riedelsheimer will present MUSENRAUM, a training project for young documentary filmmakers.
• Susanne Dzeik, Docfilm 42, Berlin
• Lars Henrik Gass, Kommunales Kino, int. Kurzfilmtage Oberhausen
• Luise Jansen, Kino on Demand, Cologne
• Wolfgang Knauff, Stiftung kulturserver.de, Berlin / Aachen
• Barbora Langmajerová, DAFilms.com, Prague
• Armelle Llop, Tënk, Lussas (tbc)
• Andreas Wildfang, EYZ Media, Berlin (tbc)
Language: German / English
Moderation: C. Cay Wesnigk, AG DOK, german documentaries, ONLINEFILM