CONGRATULATIONS to the juries for taking the opportunity to draw attention to current issues by awarding these four german documentaries.
- Between Carsten Rau, director and producer of the 94min documentary NUCLEAR FOREVER | ATOMIC POWER FOREVER, and the moderator Jo Schück, started a discussion on the efficiency and safety of nuclear power plants during the ceremony, less than a week later after the shut down of them in Germany.
- Mila Teshaieva and Marcus Lenz continue to watch the war in the Ukraine. They are currently working on the next film, planned with a lenght of 90 minutes ore more. They have been awarded for the 60 minute documentary LEBEN NACH BUTSCHA – TRAUMA UND HOFFNUNG | WHEN SPRING CAME TO BUCHA.
- Peter Nestler – together with Dieter Reifarth and DoP Rainer Komers – spent already more time to work through eight decades of injustice on two documentaries with Romani Rose in UNRECHT UND WIDERSTAND | INJUSTICE AND RESISTANCE with 116 minutes as well as some artists of the Sinti and Roma in DER OFFENE BLICK | AN OPEN MIND with 101 minutes.
- Antonia Killian's film THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIVER is unfortunately an ongoing topical for more than one reason. Women who want to live self-determined in the Orient, forced marriage, warlike conflicts, education.... 91 minutes on the feminist movement in Kurdish regions.
The editor of german documentaries congratulate the awarded filmmakers and wish them all the best for their current projects.
THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIVER • WHEN SPRING CAME TO BUCHA •
April 21, 2023 is the date of the award ceremony
The awarded german documentaries are:
- JUSTICE AND RESISTANCE – Romani Rose and the Civil Rights Movement | UNRECHT UND WIDERSTAND by Peter Nestler, 113min, P: strandfilm, Navigator Film, [GRIMME PRIZE for Peter Nestler]
- NUCLEAR FOREVER | ATOMKRAFT FOREVER by Carsten Rau, 94min, P: PIER 53 Filmproduktion , WS: MAGNETFILM GmbH, D: camino Filmverleih, [Best Script for Carsten Rau as well as Best CoP for Andrzej Król]
- THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIVER __ by Antonia Kilian, 91min 27sec P: DOPPELPLUSULTRA Film und TV, & Pink Shadow Films & Greenlity OY, D: JIP Flm & Verleih, WS: Syndicado Distribution, [GRIMME PRIZE for Antonia Kilian]
- WHEN SPRING CAME TO BUCHA | LEBEN NACH BUCHA – TRÄUME UND HOFFNUNG by Mila Teshaieva, Marcus Lenz, 66min, P: wildfilms, WS: NEW DOCS, [GRIMME PRIZE for Mila Teshaieva, Marcus Lenz]
- browse all awarded productions – German only – here.
'...The documentary NUCLEAR FOREVER | ATOMKRAFT FOREVER (PIER 53 Filmproduktion for SWR/NDR) follows the debate about nuclear energy, which has once again come into focus since the energy crisis resulting from the war in Ukraine. Images of partly immense destruction of the Ukrainian small town of Bucha are shown in the documentary WHEN SPRING CAME TO BUCHA | LEBEN NACH BUCHA – TRAUME UND HOFFNUNG (Wildfilms for WDR/Die Story im Ersten). Two other award-winning productions deal with resistance: THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIVER (Doppelplusultra Filmproduktion/Pink Shadow Films/Greenlit Productions OY for ARTE) accompanies a Kurdish woman in autonomous Rojava, while the documentary JUSTICE AND RESISTANCE – Romani Rose and the Civil Rights Movement | UNRECHT UND WIDERSTAND (strandfilm/Navigator Film for ZDF/3sat) portrays the family of civil rights activist Romani Rose and their struggle against discrimination against Sinti and Roma....' [out of the PRtext GRIMME PREIS 2023]
GRIMME PREIS is the German equivalent of the Emmys. Only movies that have been broadcasted by a public or private TVstation or provided in the internet in Germany can be nominated or awarded. Therefore some of the nominated documentaries for Grimme Preis 2023 you'll knew from former edtions of our catalogue, because they have been shown at festivals and German cinemas for about two years, the common usage of the retention period for coproductions with TVstations before broadcasted in German speaking territories.
The nominated german documentaries mentioned in our catalogue are:
- AFTERMATH | NACHSPIEL by Christoph Hübner, Gabriele Voss, 94min, P: CORSO Film,
- ALL IS ONE. EXCEPT 0. | ALLES IST EINS. AUSSER DER 0. by Klaus Maeck, Tanja Schwerdorf, 90min, Interzone Pictures | Klaus Maeck
- BETTINA by Lutz Pehnert, 107min, P: solo:film GmbH,
- CHADDR – A RIVER BETWEEN US | CHADDR – UNTER UNS DER FLUSS by Minsu Park, 88min, P: Karbe Film GmbH,
- FOLLOWING VALERIA out of the series Ab 18! produced by Chromosom Film
- GENDERATION by Monika Treut, 88in, P: Hyena Films e.K., D: Salzgeber & Co. Medien GmbH,
- HABERMAS – PHILOSOPH UND EUROPÄER by Christian Bettges, 52min, P: Vincent Productions,
- INJUSTICE AND RESISTANCE – Romani Rose and the Civil Rights Movement | UNRECHT UND WIDERSTAND by Peter Nestler, 113min, P: strandfilm, Navigator Film,
- MISSION KABUL–LUFTBRÜCKE by Vanessa Schlesier, Ronald Rist, Antje Boehmert, 4x30min, P: DOCDAYS Productions,
- NUCLEAR FOREVER | ATOMKRAFT FOREVER by Carsten Rau, 94min, P: PIER 53 Filmproduktion , WS: MAGNETFILM GmbH,
- THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIVER by Antonia Kilian, 91min 27sec P: DOPPELPLUSULTRA Film und TV, & Pink Shadow Films & Greenlity OY, Distribution Germany: JIP Flm & Verleih, WS: Syndicado Distribution,
- TACHELES – THE HEART OF THE MATTER | ENDLICH TACHELES by Jana Matthes, Andrea Schramm, 104min, P: HANFGARN & UFER & SCHRAMM MATTHES FILM,
- TRACES | SPUREN UND WUNDEN DER NSU-MORDE by Aysun Bademsoy, 84min, P: ma.ja.de. Filmproduktions GmbH, WS: Deckert Distribution GmbH,
- WHEN SPRING CAME TO BUCHA | LEBEN NACH BUCHA – TRAUME UND HOFFNUNG by Mila Teshaieva, Marcus Lenz, 66min, P: wildfilms, WS: NEW DOCS,
Further German documentaries attractive for the international market [...but until yet not mentioned in the catalogue. Maybe because no English version available until yet. Stay tuned.]
- #UKRAINE – MEIN LAND IM KRIEG produced by BlindCat Documentary for ARD/Radio Bremen out of the series SCHAU IN MEINE WELT