with 226 films from 63 countries across 15 programs – including a dozen german documentaries – in cinemas across Toronto as well as online to audiences across Canada.
The three awarded german documentaries are:
- Best Mid-Length Documentary Award: REWIND & PLAY by Alain Gomis, 65min [artscapes]
"The jury was impressed by the innovative use of archival, the rigorous cutting, and the relentless quest for intimacy with a subject on the brink of alienation."
Sponsored by British Pathé, the award includes a $3,000 cash prize.
- Audience Award International Spectrum: WHO WE WILL HAVE BEEN by Erec Brehmer, 81min [international spectrum]
- Don Haig Award for Producer Mila Aung-Thwin with MIDWIVES by Snow Hnin Ei Hlaing, 91min [special presentation] The award is given to an outstanding independent Canadian producer with a film in the Festival in recognition of his/her creative vision, entrepreneurship and track record for nurturing emerging talent and comes with a $5,000 cash prize, courtesy of the Don Haig Foundation.
Find out more about the Hot Docs AWARDS information here.
LineUp of German productions and co-productions
- 5 DREAMERS AND A HORSE by Vahagn Khachatryan, Aren Malakyan, 80min, [international spectrum]
- ANGELS OF SINJAR by Hanna Polak, 109min, WS: Deckert Distribution GmbH, [special presentation]
- THE ART OF SILENCE by Maurizius Staerkle Drux, 81min, [artscapes]
- IL BUCO by Michelangelo Frammartino, 93min, WS: Coproduction Office [markers]
- MIDWIVES by Snow Hnin Ei Hlaing, 91min, WS: dogwoof, [special presentation]
- NASIM by Ole Jacobs, Arne Büttner, 123min, P: ROSENPICTURES Filmproduktion GbR, [the changing face of Europe]
- REWIND & PLAY by Alain Gomis, 65min, coP: Die Gesellschaft DGS, [artscapes]
- SIGURIMI by Luigjina Shkupa, 29min P: HFF Munich [shorts]
- SILENT LOVE by Marek Kozakiewicz, 72min, coP: Tondowski Films, [world showcase]
- VIBRATIONS – INNER MUSIC by Cadenza Zhao, 15min, WS: Filmuniversität Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF, [shorts]
- WHO WE WILL HAVE BEEN by Erec Brehmer, 81min [international spectrum]
- XARAASI XANNE | CROSSING VOICES | VOIX CROISÉES by Raphaël Grisey, Bouba Touré, 122min, P: welt|film spectre productions, The Dark [markers]
- and the Swiss Production, GIRL GANG by Susanne Regina Meures, 96min [world showcase] a portrait of the Berlin based Leonie, a successful teen influencer, known as Leoobalys. WS: Rise and Shine World Sales U.G,
Hot Docs helps get film made—from grants for projects in development and production to connecting filmmakers with leading industry experts.
- Distribution Rendezvous: Pre-arranged, one-on-one online meetings with distributors and sales agents for finished, nearly finished and rough-cut films. Submission close: March 10, 2022
- Hot Docs Conference & Market: With exceptional professional development, networking, and business opportunities, Hot Docs is perfect for doc professionals at all career levels.
- 20 Forum projects representing 19 different countries and 26 filmmakers, 14 of whom are women and 15 of whom are BIPOC, will pitch to international decision makers, including
• GABRIEL by Daniel Carsenty, P: Nicklas Krüger, Laia Gonzalez, Ingrid Bragemann, CHUNK Filmproduktion GmbH (Germany), Avalia Studios GmbH (Germany), Tantor Films LTDA (Chile), Saboteur Media LLC (USA) The new 36-year-old president of Chile, Gabriel Boric, will never be able to change his country by himself, but if he installs hope, the courage of his people to change their society will be without limits.
• THE JOURNALIST AND THE JAILOR by Adithya Sambamurthy, P: Alex Tondowski, Ira Tondowski Tondowski Films GbR. ...reveals how this court case could provide some measure of justice for the tens of thousands of Syrians who have been detained, tortured and disappeared by Bashar al-Assad’s government, and perhaps even revolutionize war crimes prosecutions worldwide.
• THE MISSING PLANET by Marouan Omara, Tom Rosenberg, P: Marouan Omara, Tom Rosenberg, Die Gesellschaft DGS (Germany), Figleaf Studios (Egypt) ...is a creative documentary, set in the future on a distant planet. As the planet’s inhabitants experience a wave of memory loss, the film reconstructs the people, places, and events that have disappeared. THE MISSING PLANET is a journey through the surreal landscapes and fragmented memories of another world that mirrors our own.
- and more at the website of the festival
- and more in the PRESS...
Hot Docs’ LIVE program reshapes the Industry Conference and market into an intensive three-day in-person gathering offering inspiring sessions, connection to colleagues and community, and the serendipitous moments that are only possible live. Plus, attend in-cinema Festival screenings at venues across Toronto, and access all the market content available in Hot Docs’ online hub.
More Information —German only—.
REPORT by Björn Jensen _____German only_____
Editor german documentaries Ingrid Molnar