offers 357 films in both competitive and non-competitive sections, of which 115 will be in world premiere, 22 in international premiere, and 17 in European premiere.
"Ji.hlava is a place that brings forth striking images from around the world, connecting the community of filmmakers and viewers. Intense discussions follow the films, much like during the festival's discussion platform, Inspiration Forum", says Marek Hovorka, the festival director. "The festival is accessible and open to all viewers, an opportunity to meet interesting personalities both on screen and in the audience," he adds.
LineUp German documentary productions and co-productions:
- BLIX NOT BOMBS by Greta Stocklassa, 85min, WS: Syndicado Film Sales, [Special Event]
- CAN and Me by Michael P. Aust and Tessa Knapp, 85min, P: TelevisorToika, [Siren Test]
- CONSTANT – A HOMAGE TO THE APARTMENT by Paula Durinová, 16min, P: Paula Durinová Bratislava/Berlin, [First Lights]_
- FOUR DAUGHTERS | LES FILLES d'OLFA by Kaouther Ben Hania, 107min, WS: The Party Film Sales, P: Twenty Twenty Vision Filmprod, [Constellations]
- HERE by Thomas Kutschker, 10min, P: Thomas Kutschker, [Fascinations]
- LONELY OAKS | VERGISS MEYN NICHT by Fabiana Fragale, Kilian Kuhlendahl, Jens Mühlhoff, 102min, P: Made in Germany Filmproduktion GmbH, [Testimonies]
- MINUET | MENUETT by Hans Broich, 71min, P: SUPERZOOM Film, [First Lights]
- MUNICH 72 | MÜNCHEN 72 by Matthias Leitner, Eva Deinert, 20min, P: Matthias Leitner, Eva Deinert, [Virtual Reality]_
- ORLANDO – OR A LITTLE HISTORY OF THE MIDDLE CLASS | ORLANDO ODER EINE KURZE GESCHICHTE DER MITTELKLASSE by Jeremejewa Jelena, Flórez Catalina, 42min, P: ehrliche arbeit - freies Kulturbüro, [Testimonies]
- SEVEN WINTERS IN TEHERAN | SIEBEN WINTER IN TEHERAN by Steffi Niederzoll, 97min, P: Made in Germany Filmproduktion GmbH, [Constellations]
- SOLAR | SOLAIRE by Jessica Arseneau, 15min, P: Jessica Arseneau, [Fascinations]_
- THE SOIL OF THE NAMIB: VR | DIE ERDE DER NAMIB by Christian Zipfel, 28min, P: Time Prints KG, [Virtual Reality]
- SUMMER AND WINTER by Robert Manson, 40min, P: BALLYROGAN FILMS, [Opus Bonum]
- TOTAL TRUST by Jialing Zhang, 97min, WS: Cinephil, P: FILMTANK GmbH, [Testimonies]
- TRUTH & LIES: CONSPIRACY by John Kantara, 52min, episode 1 of a six parts series, coP: tvotoday, ZDFinfo, taglicht media [Reality TV]_
- VIKA! | WIKA! by Agnieszka Zwiefka, 74min, WS: Deckert Distribution, [Constellations]
- YOU DESTROY. WE CREATE. by Gayatri Parameswaran, Felix Gaedtke, 25min [Virtual Reality]
The event is dedicated to the new generation of European producers, new formats, innovative trends, and visions for the future. The programme is open to diverse audiovisual formats, including the German production
- MINDSCAPES by Lina Zacher, 30min, P: Delphine Bishop, Pylon Studio UG,
What does a feeling look like, what does it sound like? Mindscapes is about the multifaceted emotional worlds of people with mental illness. Feelings such as panic, emptiness, despair, mania, euphoria, tension, and sorrow are explored, as four protagonists with diverse diagnoses share their experiences. On the basis of the images and sounds associated with the feelings of those affected, a sound designer and a motion designer create a sonic and visual level immersing the viewer deeply in the inner worlds of the protagonists and bringing them vividly closer to what is difficult to explain.
as single page:
October 30, 2023 PRESS RELEASE:
The Awards of the 27th Ji.hlava IDFF were presented at Jihlava's DKO on Saturday night! The Contribution to World Cinema award was presented to legendary Hungarian filmmaker Béla Tarr. The Opus Bonum Award for the most notable international documentary film was granted to Ship by Croatian director Elvis Leni?, while Photophobia by Ivan Ostrochovský and Pavol Pekar?ík took home the Best Czech Documentary award. The award for the Best Central and East European documentary went to to Polish film Distances by Matej Bobrik, the Best film from the Visegrad region is The Third End of the Stick by Slovak director Jaro Vojtek. The award for the Best Debut went to You Will Never See It All by Czech director Št?pán Pech and Maia Gattás Vargas from Argentina received the Award for original approach for her East Wind. The Czech director Nikola Klinger received the students' prize for La Reine. The jury of the Testimonies section appreciated Mighty Afrin: In The Time Of Floods by Greek director Angelos Rallis. The Best Experimental Documentary film is Silhouette by Japanese director Yoshiki Nishimura and The Commodity Catalogue by Zbyn?k Baladrán was named the Best Czech Experiment. The Short Joy Award went to Kata's Motherhood by Santwana Bayaskar from India, and Is There Any Place For Me, Please? by Jarmila Štuková was voted the audiences' favourite. See all awards and jury statements here.