The twenty-sixth edition of the festival will open with 8TH DAY OF THE WAR by Ukrainian director Oksana Moiseniuk. The film was made on the eighth day of the Russian aggression in Ukraine and is not about the war as such, but about its impact on the Ukrainian diaspora in the Czech Republic. The Contribution to World Cinema Award will be presented at this year's Awards Ceremony to Slovak filmmaker, a prominent representative of the Czechoslovak New Wave of the 1960s, Dušan Hanák. His masterpiece PICTURES OF THE OLD WORLD ©1972 will be screened at Ji.hlava on Saturday evening.
LineUp of german productions and co-productions a.o.
- 5 DREAMERS AND A HORSE by Aren Malakyan, Vahagn Khachatryan, 95min, [Doc Alliance Selection]
- BORDER CONVERSATIONS by Jonathan Brunner, 30min, [Short Joy]
- THE CARS WE DROVE INTO CAPITALISM | by Boris Missirkov, Georgi Bogdanov, 93min, [Constellations]
- ELFRIEDE JELINEK – LANGUAGE UNLEASHED | ELFRIEDE JELINEK – DIE SPRACHE VON DER LEINE LASSEN by Claudia Müller, 96min [Testimonies]
- JOURNEY INSIDE A CITY by Sarah Munaf, 12min, [Fascinations]
- LOVE, DEUTSCHMARKS AND DEATH | LIEBE, D-MARK UND TOD by Cem Kaya, 98min,[Siren Test]
- SHALL I COMPARE YOU TO A SUMMER’S DAY? by Mohammad Shawky Hassan, 63min [Constellations]
- MYRIAD.WHERE WE CONNECT. [Virtual Reality]
- THE NATURAL HISTORY OF DESTRUCTION by Sergei Loznitsa, 112min, [Testimonies]
- NATURE | LA NATURE by Artavazd Pelechian, 64min [Special Event]
- SERIOUS GAMES I-IV by Harun Farocki, 47min [Notes on War]
- SHALL I COMPARE YOU TO A SUMMER'S DAY? | BASHTAALAK SA'AT by Mohammad Shawky Hassan, 63min, [Constellations]
- SURVIVOR MANIFESTO – THE ART OF MAKING KIN | SURVIVOR MANIFESTO – DIE KUNST DER WAHLFAMILIE by Dan Dansen, 11min, [Fascinations]
- THREE SISTERS by Iman Behrouzi, 12min, [Short Joy]
- TURBULENCE by Telemach Wiesinger, 15min, [Fascinations]
- where... by Thomas Kutschker, 10min, [Virtual Reality]
The award for the most notable international documentary film was granted to 07:15 – Blackbird by Judith Auffray, the best Czech documentary is Kapr Code by Lucie Králová. The award for the best Central and East European documentary and for the best sound design went to Croatian film Deserters by Damir Markovina. The award for the best debut went to Bloom by Canadian director Fanie Pelletier, and Javier Codesal from Spain received the award for original approach for his Greater Gospel. The Swiss director Mateo Ybarra received the students' prize as well as the best editing award for Over Our Hills. The jury of the Testimonies section appreciated Into the Weeds: Dewayne "Lee" Johnson vs Monsanto Company by Canadian director Jennifer Baichwal. The best experimental documentary film is The Sound of Time by Venezuelan director Jeissy Trompiz. Glasswork by Zdenk Picpauer was named the best Czech experiment. The Contribution to World Cinema award was granted to legendary Slovak filmmaker Dušan Hanák. See all awards and jury statements here.
next: 27 Ji.hlava DFF October 24-29, 2023
• 26 Ji.hlava 2022 •