directed by Khaled Abdulwahed, produced by pong film GmbH.
'A photo camera is cleaned. Click. The shutter works. Bright light. A crackle and hiss in the sound. A broken "Hello?" opens a conversation between Khaled Abdulwahed, a Syrian filmmaker living in Leipzig, and his father in Aleppo. The son reconstructs his father's journey, arriving in the GDR as an exchange student in 1956. His son applies for asylum more than 60 years later as a refugee. The civil war in Syria separates their stories, the film BACKGROUND brings them back together and continues them.'
The Alice Guy Award goes to Gianna Scholten for TWO GIANTS THAT EXIST HERE — A GERMAN FAIRYTALE, produced by Academy of Media Arts Cologne.
LineUp of German productions and co-productions:
- BACKGROUND by Khaled Abdulwahed, 64min, P: pong film GmbH, awarded with Grand Prix [Internatinal Competition]
- CAPITAL by Basma Al-Sharif, 17min [FLASH]
- DE FACTO by Selma Doborac, 130min, WS: sixpackfilm, [Internatinal Competition]
- LOSING FAITH | DIE ÄNGSTLICHE VERKEHRSTEILNEHMERIN by Martha Mechow, 100min, WS: sixpackfilm, [International Competition]
- TWO GIANTS THAT EXIST HERE—A GERMAN FAIRYTALE | ZWEI RIESEN DIE ES HIER GIBT – EIN DEUTSCHES MÄRCHEN by Gianna Scholten, 21min, P: KHM–Academy of Media Arts Cologne, awarded with Alice Guy Award [FLASH]
- Browse the 2023 PROGRAMMATION here.
- Objet A by Ann Oren, 90min, P: Schuldenberg Films, Producers: Kristof Gerega, Sophie Ahrens, Fabian Altenried [FIDLab 2023]
- Browse selected projects here.
as single page