with a tribute to Tatiana Huezo and, DANCING ON THE EDGE OF A VOLCANO by Cyril Aris, IN LIMBO by Gusztáv Hámos, Katja Pratschke, CALLS FROM MOSCOW by Luis Alejandro Yero in the international competition among others.
LineUp German productions and co-productions
- CALLS FROM MOSCOW by Luis Alejandro Yero, 65min, COSMIC PRODUCTIONS, [CONCORSO INTERNAZIONALE]
- DANCING ON THE EDGE OF A VOLCANO by Cyril Aris, 87min, P: Abbout Productions, REYNARD Films, D: Salaud Morisset, [CONCORSO INTERNAZIONALE]
- THE ECHO | DAS ECHO | EL ECO by Tatiana Huezo, 102min, WS: The Match Factory, [OMAGGIO A TATIANA HUEZO]
- IN LIMBO by Gusztáv Hámos, Katja Pratschke, 32min, P: Katja Pratschke, [CONCORSO INTERNAZIONALE]
- IN VANDA'S ROOM by Pedro Costa, 170min, © 2000 [OMAGGIO A PEDRO COSTA]_
- MIGHTY AFRIN: IN THE TIME OF FLOODS by Angelos Rallis, 92min, P: AR Productions, Manny Films, ZDF/ARTE a.o. WS: Cargo Film & Releasing, [HABITAT]_
- SOME THING by Elena WAlf, 7min, P: Film Academy of Baden-Württemberg, ©2015 [POPOLI FOR KIDS & TEENS]
- WHO I AM NOT by Tünde Skovran, 103min, P: Double 4 Studios, Filmoption International, Bulldog Agenda, Berlin/Brooklyn, [DOC HIGHLIGHTS]
Director Tatiana Huezo, one of the most important emerging voices in international cinema of the last decade, with PRAYERS FOR THE STOLEN Mexicans submission for 94 Academy Awards for Best International Feature Film and, awarded with the Documentary Award & Best Directing Encounter for DAS ECHO | EL ECO | THE ECHO at 73 BERLINALE, will be one of the special guests at the 64th edition of the Festival dei Popoli, the international documentary film festival, scheduled in Florence from November 4 to 12, 2023.
For 15 years, Tatiana Huezo has been passionately chronicling the deep soul of a beautiful and painful country, full of wounds and contradictions. The filmmaker-born in San Salvador and then moved to Mexico City-will be honoured with a retrospective of her work, the first in Italy, and will meet the public at a masterclass.
Explained Festival dei Popoli artistic director Alessandro Stellino, "This is a director whom we have been following since her debut and who, with very few films to her credit, has already achieved a leading status at the international level, as demonstrated by the important recognition bestowed on her at the last Berlinale. Her cinema is unique, politically conscious and with a strong cinematic, narrative and lyrical structure, she addresses some of the most dramatic issues of contemporary Mexican society by translating them into a vision that never leaves one indifferent. Through the gaze of women, sometimes little girls, she recounts with deep sensitivity a mythical and ancestral world and the most dangerous ridges beyond which we sometimes lean and lose our innocence. All her films are forms of resistance and struggle, stances in favour of the freedom of individuals and communities, and at the same time poetic prayers for all that has been taken from them and denied them."
The rebellious and political body of an indocile and disobedient woman is the protagonist of the poster for the 64th Festival dei Popoli, the international documentary film festival, in Florence from 4 to 12 November. The image on the poster is taken from WR - I misteri dell'organismo, Dusan Makavejev's 1971 film that will be screened on 4 November at La Compagnia cinema and will open the Diamonds are Forever section, a selection of documentaries from the festival's historical archive.
64 FDP Festival dei Popoli, Florence