The Lasting Formation
In his film HEIMATKUNDE, the director returns to the school building of his childhood in East Germany. For almost 25 years it lay empty, seemingly waiting to be revived. The remains of socialist education are pasted over, hidden, forgotten.
In tentative interviews with contemporary witnesses we are gradually coming nearer to the systematic manipulation of the child’s mind. In this way, it becomes understandable how the dictatorship functioned and turned into the commonplace “that’s just the way it is”, which still exists today and thwarts any criticism of and debate about history.
However, overcoming the German “duality” remains impossible without looking back and reappraising this form of education that generated the authoritarian mind. 2021
36 DOK.fest Munich
38 Kassel DOKFEST
- Director Christian Bäucker
- Director of Photography Joanna Piechotta
- Editor Michelle Barbin
- Sound Merle Bäucker, Matthias Platz
- Sound Design Rainer Gerlach, Christian Obermaier
- Score maschineller
- Other Jochen Jezussek (Sound Mixing), Susanne Dollnig (Grading)