DVD Release January 01, 2018 Grandmother Gerda died at age 98. The family gathers in her flat in Tel Aviv where she has lived with grandfather Kurt for the last 70 years. Among countless letters, photographs and documents director Arnon Goldfinger uncovers traces of an unspoken past: the Jewish grandparents were close friends with SS-officer Leopold von Mildenstein and his wife.
The film develops into a story that holds unexpected international
interests, calls up restrained family emotions and discloses secrets. Together with his mother the filmmaker and grandson Arnon Goldfinger takes on the battle, like two Don Quixotes: against boxes, dust, salesmen and family members, past, present, repression and truth.
• The Gilde-Filmpreis - The German Art cinemas Guild Award for Best documentary in German cinemas
• Special Jury Prize for a Foreign Film – Traverse City International Film Festival, USA,
• The FIPRESCI (International Federation of Film Critics) Jury Award - 52nd Krakow Film Festival, Poland, 2
• Best Documentary Award – Minneapolis St. Paul International Film Festival, USA,
• Best Editing Award – Tribeca International Film Festival, USA,
• The David A. Stein Memorial Award for Best Documentary – Toronto Jewish Film Festival, Canada,
• Special Jury Mention – New Zealand International Documentary Film Festival,
• The Bavarian Film Award for Best Documentary
• The Israeli Academy Award ("Ofir") for Best Documentary
• The Jerusalem Film Festival Award for Best Documentary Director
• The Israeli Documentary Filmmakers Forum's Awards for Best Film, Best Director and Best Research
• The Golden Phoenix Award – The Jewish Mostifs Film Festival, Poland, 2013
• Nominated for Best Documentary Award, LOLA German Filmprize Awards for 2013.
- Director Arnon Goldfinger
- Producer Arnon Goldfinger, Thomas Kufus
- Director of Photography Philippe Bellaiche, Talia (Tulik) Galon
- Editor Tali Halter Shenkar
- Score Yoni Rechter