THE DAY OF THE SPARROW
DAY OF THE SPARROW is a political wildlife documentary. It tells the story of a country where theborder between war and peace is disappearing. On November 14th , 2005 a sparrow is shot dead in Leeuwarden, and in Kabul a German soldier dies. These competing headlines are the starting point for director Philip Scheffner, to trace the war using the methods of an ornithologist. On his journey through Germany, the camera circuits a reality of the war â€“ by capturing images of apparent peace.Dialogue fragments are wafting through deserted landscapes. Birds remain in the focus, becoming our guides to hidden places where the war is produced. And then, a sudden change of perspective: An arrest takes place on a Brandenburg country lane. The birdwatchers themselves become the targets of observation.
- Director Philip Scheffner
- Producer Merle Kröger, Meike Martens, Philip Scheffner
- Screenwriter Philip Scheffner, Merle Kröger
- Director of Photography Bernd Meiners
- Editor Merle Kröger, Philip Scheffner
- Sound Design Volker Zeigermann