Love Parade – The Trial
53min or 81min original German, Spanish, Catalan version with English or Spanish subtitels, German AudioScription available What began 1989 as a tiny street parade in Berlin has long since grown into a million-strong spectacle garnering international attention. In 2010, the “Love Parade” left Berlin for a tour of the Ruhr valley, German’s former industrial stronghold, a region weak in infrastructure and youth appeal. Hundreds of thousands of electronic music lovers took pilgrimage to Duisburg to celebrate, but the day tragically ended in a fatal stampede. What went wrong?
The location of the parade was a former freight yard and the only entrance and exit to the venue was a narrow ramp. There, the crowd squeezed. 21 attendees died and 652 more were injured and traumatized. The Trial reveals the corporate greed and public negligence at the expense of young people from around the world gathering for a music festival. With unprecedented access, the film unravels the worst disaster in counter-culture history.
• “Outstanding” — Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung
• “Important and valuable” — Sueddeutsche Zeitung
• “Thrilling” — Münchner Merkur
• “Extremely dense and unbelievably close to its protagonists“ — Der SPIEGEL
Nominated for the award of the German Academy for Television
Nominated for the Gaudi-Awards, Spain
In-edit Film Festival, Barcelona
Grimme Award 2021 for Antje Boehmert (Writer/Producer) & Dominik Wessely (Director)
This is an outstandingly documentation of the difficult legal processing of the deadly mass panic in Duisburg in 2010. (…) Here, precisely in its sober restraint, a great film has succeeded.
- Director Dominik Wessely
- Producer Antje Boehmert (DOCDAYS Productions), Eva Fontanals (ARPA FILMS)
- Screenwriter Antje Boehmert
- Director of Photography Knut Schmitz, Till Vielrose, Lara Vilanova
- Editor Marcel Ozan Riedel
- Score Jesús Díaz, Paloma Peñarrubía, María Díaz